According to Ayurveda perspective, the eyes are one of the most important organs in the body. All five elements play a role in maintaining eye health. Earth (prithivi) governs the muscular part of the eye, fire (tejas) rules the blood vessels, air (vayu) governs the color, water (apu) dominates the white area, and space (akasha) controls the tear ducts and channels.
Maintaining healthy Eyes…Like all other parts of the body, the eyes need to nourish properly. In addition to make sure that eyes are not strained by too much intense close work or inadequate light, proper eye care includes healthy diet containing sufficient amount of vitamins & nutrients. One of the biggest enemies of the eyes is lack of sleep.
In order to promote good eyesight, you must make sure your diet contains the proper amounts of the vitamin B, A, C, E and the minerals selenium and zinc. Fresh fruits & vegetables are good sources of this vitamins and minerals. Food must be colorful yellow, yellow-orange, greens such as carrots, yams, cantaloupes. A well balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits & vegetables can help your eyes healthy.
When you are outdoors, exposure to sunlight can be damaging. If you are exposing prolong in sunlight, then you should wear UV protective sunglasses that block both ultraviolet rays UV-A, UV-B. The ozone absorbs most of the radiation, but small amounts get through and can cause cataract, pterygia, and skin cancer. Buy real sunglasses, not the kiddy models. Look for polycarbonate lenses, which are light, shatterproof, and optically sound.
- Include following in your diet: - Broccoli, raw cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, green vegetables squash, sunflower seeds, and watercress.
- Eliminate sugar and white flour from your diet.
- Never use hair dyes, containing coal tar on the eyelashes or eyebrows, doing so can cause injury or blindness. Although coal tar dyes are legal.
- Be careful when using drugs, weather prescription or over the counter. Some may cause eye problems. Drugs that can damage to the optic nerve, retina, or other vital parts of the body.
- Adrenocorticotropic hormones or ACTH
- Allopurinol, which is used for gout.
- Anti-coagulants such as heparin & warfarin. Aspirin.
- Corticosteroids, Chloropropamide- which is used for non-insulin dependent diabetes.
- Diuretics, anti-histamines and digitalis preparations.
- Indomethacin, nicotinic acid, streptomycin, sulfa drugs, tetracycline.
• Avoid drinking fluids before bed.
• Avoid Monosodium glutamate (MSG) and limit your salt intake.
• Do not smoke.
• Get plenty of water of water.
• Place a washcloth moistened in ice water, chilled get-filled compress, over your eyes for 15 mins once or twice a day. We can also use wet tea bag or cucumber slices. The cold shrinks the swollen blood vessels.
• Do not wash the eyes or face when the body is sweating, especially after hard physical exercise or after being exposed to heat and sun.
• Try to maintain regular and clean bowel movements. Constipation weakens the eyesight. In addition; too much anxiety, mental stress, grief, anger and worry are harmful for the eyes.
• Regular eye exercise maintains perfect eyesight. One simple method of exercise is moving the eyeball - right and left; upwards and downwards and rotating it in the clockwise and anti-clockwise directions.
• Another simple way of protecting of eyes is through 'palming'. Rub the palms of both hands for about 30 seconds, close the eyes and gently place the warm palms over the eyes.
• Soak a cotton pad in rose water, milk or aloe Vera juice and apply to closed eyes for 10-20 minutes while lying down comfortably.
• Boil 2 or 3 figs and 1 tablespoon of raisins in 1 cup of milk. Drink each morning.
• Yoga for eyes: Tratak or steady gazing is an excellent concentration & proper exercise. It involves alternately gazing at an object or point without blinking, then closing your eyes and visualizing the object in your mind's eye. The practice steadies the wandering mind and concentrates the attention, leading you to focus with pinpoint accuracy. Wherever the eyes go, the mind follows, so that when you fix your gaze on a single point, the mind too becomes one pointed.
• Wonderful eye care by Netra basti
• Aniseed (Pimpinella anisum) Aniseed is especially beneficial in the treatment of cataract. The powder of its seeds is taken in a tablespoon quantity every morning and evening.
• Babul (Acacia arabica) Babul can treat conjunctivitis. A paste of the babul leaves must be applied on the eyes before going to sleep at night. It will lessen the itchiness, wateriness and the redness of the sore eyes.
• Carrot (Daucus carota) Carrot is so beneficial in eye care that its virtues are taught to school students also. Carrots contain beta-carotene, which is the precursor of vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is responsible for strengthening the eyes and protecting them from night blindness.
• Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) A decoction prepared from coriander can be used as an eyewash for people with conjunctivitis. There will be immediate reduction in the burning, redness and swelling of the eyes.
• Indian Gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) The Indian gooseberry, known as amalaki, is exceptional in treating ocular problems. It can bring relief in both conjunctivitis and glaucoma. Its juice is taken with honey for better effects.
• Indian Sorrel (Oxalis corniculata) The Indian Sorrel has exceptional properties in the treatment of several eye problems. A few drops of the juice of its leaves must be put in the eyes every day to keep them free from strain. They can also be a good prevention for cataract.
• Marigold (Calendula officinalis) Marigold is taken as a cold infusion for washing eyes that are stressed. This brings a cooling effect to the eyes. It is also effective in cases of conjunctivitis.
• Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) the raw juice of parsley is effective for eye care. It can relieve the eyes of problems such as corneal ulcers, cataracts, weak eyes, conjunctivitis, ophthalmic and sluggishness of the pupils.
• Washing with Triphala also keeps eyes moist and healthy. Alos Chandroday vati is beneficial.
• Prepare a mixture of equal proportions of aniseed powder and coriander seed powder. Mix it with an equal weight of unrefined sugar. Take it in doses of 12 grams every morning and evening. It is beneficial for people with cataract.
• Take two small pieces of cardamom. Grind them and dissolve the powder in milk. Boil the milk and drink it at night. This makes the eyes healthier.
"A beautiful eye makes silence eloquent, a kind eye makes contradiction an assent, an enraged eye makes beauty deformed. This little member gives life to every other part about us."